Monday, January 16, 2012

2011 Graduation Ceremony

Who can go to a graduation ceremony and not think about the future? I certainly can't! As as sit and ponder the time that is ahead of me I can't help but wonder what the next 3 years will be like. People say, "You have plenty of time! You have 3 years!" I just respond with, "It seems like yesterday Christian Jr. was born, and that was almost 15 years ago! Can you imagine how quickly 3 years will go by!?" Time just seems to fly by and before I know it all 4 of my babies will be walking across that football field...

One thing stuck out more than anything to me tonight though, and I guess part of it is because of the time of year that is quickly approaching. June 5, 2010 two wonderful boys left us and went to be with the Lord. I couldn't help but notice the beautiful flower arrangement on the side of the field tonight, an arrangement that signifies a fellow classmate that was not present on that football field tonight.



At the conclusion of the ceremonies the graduates ran in separate directions, some celebrating with friends some running to greet their families. I noticed a small group that immediately walked over to that arrangement of flowers and solemnly stood with heads bowed and tears in their eyes. They held each other as they cried... My heart was sad for them. I couldn't help but wonder what they were thinking... Were they thinking about some fun memory that they had experienced together? Were they thinking about memories from high school and how different something might have been had their missing friend been there? Were they thinking that they carried their friend through this experience with them? I would think they were probably flooded with all of these thoughts and emotions.



My heart just became heavy when thinking, this will be us in 3 short years. In the midst of our celebration on that summer day in 2014 when our children have finally made it through high school, there will be that sadness that Jacob and Micah are not standing among them. What a bittersweet day that will be.

Our experience with loss and gain is what shapes us into the people we are. We can rejoice in sadness because we have God's promise that we will live eternally with Him if we accept Him as our savior.We will forever carry Jacob and Micah in our hearts and on Graduation Day in 2014 we will take the time to remember them and their families. <3

(another post from 2011 that I debated sharing)

No comments:

Post a Comment